Our Environmental Commitment
Panda cares about the games we make and the environmental impact of our products. This past year, we have reaffirmed our commitment to reduce single-use plastics and improve the sustainability of our products throughout their lifecycle. Our objective remains to offer our clients and tabletop gamers what they expect from Panda: high-quality games that will delight players for many years. We believe that this objective can be achieved while also considerably reducing the impact that our games have on the environment.
Though the challenges of global climate change and plastic waste are vast and complex, we can take progressive, concrete steps towards making the products leaving our factory tomorrow more sustainable. Over time, these improvements will compound into sustainable manufacturing that will help the hobby of tabletop gaming thrive into the future.
With that in mind, we would like to tell you what we do today in pursuit of sustainability:
- We use soy-based inks and water-based varnishes across all our products.
- Sprues & defects from plastics production are recycled and reused in other products made from lower-grade plastic.
- Waste paper is recycled and reused as much as possible.
- All our standard ivorycore and blackcore cardstocks are FSC-certified.
- We offer compostable plastic bags as an optional alternative.
- We offer paper bands for cards as an optional alternative.
- We offer wafer seals and paper wrap for boxes as an alternative to shrink wrap.
- Our standard cardboard components contain 30% recycled material.
- Our standard shipping cartons contain 100% recycled material.
Below are our goals for 2022 and beyond:
- Achieve full FSC-certification for our factory.
- Increase our paper-wrapping capacity through automation.
- Offer paper-wrapping as an optional alternative for card decks.
- Offer wet-pressed, paper-based insert trays as an alternative to vacuum-formed plastic insert trays.
- Use shredded paper instead of bubble wrap in shipping.
- Improve consolidation of components during assembly to reduce multiple single-use plastic bags in new games.
- Explore our options for renewable power resources.
- Hire an outside consultant with sustainable manufacturing expertise to help guide our progress.
We will update this page as new information becomes available over time. We may not have considered other options, so we welcome suggestions and feedback as we continue on this journey. Contact us at [email protected].